Gambling Places Raided in Crisp and Dougherty County
Cordele, GA. – On Tuesday, August 7, 2018, the GBI’s Commercial Gambling Unit, along with the Mid-South Narcotics Task Force, the Crisp County Sheriff’s Office, the Albany-Dougherty Drug Unit and in cooperation with the Georgia Lottery Corporation and the Georgia Department of Revenue executed five (5) search warrants in Cordele and Albany for violations of Georgia’s gambling laws.
Search warrants were executed at four (4) business locations in Cordele and one (1) business location in Albany. The business locations were:
- “Jay’s Place”, 1111 A South 7th Street, Cordele
- “Pool Room”, 204 Joe Wright Drive, Cordele
- 1411 E. 16th Ave., Suite H, Cordele
- “Dis and Dat”, 102 E. 14th Avenue, Suite B, Cordele
- “Dis and Dat Apparel”, 2228 Palmyra Road, Albany
During the course of a lengthy investigation, agents discovered businesses operating unlicensed Coin Operated Amusement Machines (COAMS) where customers were receiving cash payouts for winning credits. In Georgia, COAMS must be properly licensed by the Georgia Lottery and credits may only be redeemed for lottery tickets and/or store merchandise.
While searching the location, agents collected evidence related to crimes of commercial gambling and seized monetary assets gained from the illegal use of gaming machines.
The following individuals were arrested and charged with Commercial Gambling (felony) as a result of Tuesday’s operations:
- Teresa Wright, 55 of Cordele, Georgia
- William Carter, 69 of Cordele, Georgia
- Bernice Brown, 60 of Cordele, Georgia
- Tommie Benson, 53 of Cordele, Georgia
- Darrell Owens, 57 of Cordele, Georgia
- Jarvis Deon Fudge, 41 of Perry, Georgia
- Sandra Faye Brown, 58 of Cordele, Georgia